Today I’m celebrating the completion of my book manuscript, Christ is For Us!!
And no, the exclamation points will not be part of the book title when it’s published by Abingdon Press later this year. Christ is For Us is a lectionary Bible study series for Lent 2017, so I imagine that the exclamation points would be a bit much, although since I emailed my manuscript off just last night, I feel they’re totally appropriate in this blog post. I’m FINISHED!!!!!
Writing can be hard work, and finishing even harder–every time I read something I’ve written, I just can’t help changing something. But–thanks to many prayers and the movement of the Holy Spirit–I’m finally done–at least for now–so today I’m sharing 17 of my favourite quotes that helped me get to this point. [Italics added for clarity–please see comment below] I hope they’ll inspire you to start and finish what you write too!
- Don’t be paralyzed by the idea that you’re writing a book. Just write. – Isabelle Allende
- Well, why not finish? It may not be the greatest thing in the world, but then again it might be, and you never know it might spark someone or something else. – David Adams Richards
- This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until it’s done. It’s that easy, and that hard. – Neil Gaiman
- It isn’t going to write itself – Unknown
- A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than for other people. – Thomas Mann
- Ship often. Ship lousy stuff, but ship. Ship constantly. – Seth Godin
- If I waited for perfection, I would never write a word. – Margaret Atwood
- If you wait for inspiration to write, you’re not a writer, you’re a waiter. – Dan Poynter
- Writing to me, is simply thinking through my fingers. – Isaac Asimov
- I write. He writes. She writes. They write. We all revise. – Write Tee T-shirt
- Half my life is an act of revision. – John Irving
- Everybody is talented, original and has something important to say. – Brenda Ueland
- Writing is an act of faith, not of grammar. – E.B. White
- Start writing, no matter what. The water does not flow until the faucet is turned on. – Louis L’Amour
- I just say to myself, “Just give it another hour. Just plod along, one foot in front of the other.” And then six months later I see it’s a beautiful piece. – Virginia Cartwright
- I do not admire giving up. – Janet Burroway
- Now stop reading and go write something. – April Yamasaki
Writing/Reflection Prompt: What’s your favourite quote that inspires you?
If you’re interested in more writing and faith-focused articles,
please sign up for my weekly updates.